HAGERSTOWN, Md.- What a matchup we had in store on Sunday afternoon as two of the best teams in the MD JUCO conference squared off for the title and bragging rights as MD JUCO tourney champions. The matchup featured Baltimore City CC versus the Cougars of Frederick Community College. On 12/8/18, the two teams squared off as part of the Ben Williams Classic on the home floor of BCCC. The Cougars upended the Panthers by the score of 75-72 in a tight contest. The Panthers would get revenge in the regular season by defeating FCC on their home court, 71-66 on 1/5/19 in a conference matchup. Sunday's matchup didn't disappoint and in the end the Panthers defeated the Cougars by the score of 77-74.
Inside The Box Score
- FCC's Corey Barnett picked up two quick fouls early in the game and he registered just two points in the first half. He ended up with eight points on the game.
- BCCC jumped out to a 33-20 lead at the 7:11 mark in the first half. FCC would put up a 12-0 run of their own to claw back into the contest, 33-32.
- The Cougars trailed 45-42 at the break. They connected on 19-of-21 FTs in the first 20 minutes of action.
- FCC led 58-50 at the 10:24 mark in the second half thanks in part to a pair of free throws by Juwan Burnett.
- BCCC would put together a 14-0 run of their own and take a 64-58 lead at the 5:49 mark in the second half.
- David Garey played all 40 minutes of the game for FCC. He scored a game-high 26 points on 7-of-20 from the field. He was a perfect 10-of-10 from the charity stripe.
- Juwan Burnett logged some important minutes and took full advantage of his playing time. He poured in 14 points on 5-of-12 from the floor.
- Dwayne Garner chipped in with 11 points and five boards.
- FCC hit on just 20-of-72 (27.8%) field goals, including 5-of-22 from beyond the arc.
- The Cougars continue to cash in at the free throw line. They connected on 29-of-33 (87.9%) for the game.
- Congrats to David Garey and Dwayne Garner on being selected to the MD JUCO All-Tourney Team.
- The #16 FCC Cougars sit at 18-9 on the season.
MD JUCO TOURNEY FACTS
The Maryland JUCO Tournament began in 1974. Prior to that year, the conference was known as the Tri-State Athletic Conference, which ran from 1958 until 1973. Hagerstown won the first conference tournament in 1958.
NEXT TIME OUT
The Cougars will get some much deserved rest and return to the court on 2/25 when they play host to one of the hottest teams in the country, #1 Potomac State College of WVU in a crucial Region XX DII matchup.